Thursday, June 01, 2006

Faux!


Here's an article I wrote for an online painting & decorating magazine. It's really a basic overview and tips; I don't go into specific techniques.
It's difficult to describe "how to" in print, but many techniques are easy and really quite dramatic. Most paint store and big box home centers have whole displays for faux. Booklets with instructions, videos and all the tools you'll need. Check for faux painting workshops - one of my local Sherwin Williams stores has them every few months and I've seen them advertised at Home Despot.
Paint is really forgiving - experiment and have fun!
If you don't want to try yourself, call an expert. We appreciate the business. :)

You can supersize any of the photos here to see more detail, just click on the pic.

2 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Blogger Tabor said...

I guess what I need to do is go to the stores to actually see what the result of each technique is so that I can determine the type of texture--look that I could expect. Did you do the one above with a feather.

And,YES, WS is a roller coaster of a web site. I am afraid that the real reason for her situation is not being addressed, either by her or by helpers and that could be a problem down the road.

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Carina said...

I need to revisit your house blog, Tabor - it's a marvellous home!
Actually the one above was done by Lisa, a faux lady I work with a lot. (I painted the rest of the house, though.) She uses feathers and artist brushes both for the marble effect, n top of woolly-rolled base (those little woolly double rollers) in several shades of the same color.
Thanks for stopping by! Think I need to put something more up here, it's so much easier to actually paint than write about it....
I will probably buy WS book; she promises backstory. After the recent rash of untruthful autobiographies, you can be sure the publisher will be fact-checking hers really carefully!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home