Thursday, June 08, 2006

I don't need no stinkin' scaffolding.




I paint so many houses with big-ass tall foyers that last year my helper & I were going to put "Foyers "R" Us" on the side of my truck! Most take one or two days. Maybe three if there's ceilings, crown molding and trim to paint.
About every other house the homeowner exclaims "I thought you'd need scaffolding, how do you get up there?"
Handy dandy little tools and a couple of ladders. Being a bit of an acrobat (a previous crew called me Monkey-Woman and I wore the moniker with pride) helps too. Like the handy-dandy brush extender - you can adjust and angle a brush any way you need to with that. The step leveller thingie is handy too, and much safer than piles of phone books.
I owned scaffold way back when I used to paint lots of Victorian homes. Now there, it really came in handy - you can spend all day working on about 10 square feet of exterior siding and trim.
I finished up this house last week - it's the one in the previous post with the faux marble wall. Looked marvellous - deep foresty, mossy colours and a red kitchen.
PS, it's not OSHA-safe to wear Tevas on the jobsite. Well bite me. Just saying.

8 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger Tabor said...

I can just me trying to paint with that long handled angled brush. I would have paint on the ceiling as well as a crick in my neck! What about those new ladders that fold four different ways...do they work?

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Carina said...

Blogger was messing up today, sorryn it took so long to get the comment up! I removed moderation, don't know why I had it set like that...
Anyhow. Like the Little Giant ladders? They can be really handy I guess - I have one and have not used it in over three years, though. I find them pretty cumbersome and most are a max of 16' high, which won't get your basic big-ass foyer. :~)
(If you lived closer, I'd give you mine, though.)

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

howdy..i had just stopped by to say thank you for your nice comment on my blog and then i get here and find a woman after my own heart...i worked in Paint dept. for years, (jones-blair) and manager of paint dept at a Payless cashways..plus i have done all sorts of painting over the years.im much better at telling people how to do it as apposed to doing it anymore..(4 back operations)..find it easier to do furniture now. thanks again for nice comment...

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm going to have to file a complaint with OSHA for that violation ;-)

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Carina said...

Hey yellowdog granny, a fellow paint chickie. :~) I enjoy your writing, keep kickin butt.

Ricardo, bite me LOL.
It's not a violation if you're also wearing L'Oreal Red Siren toenail polish.

Oh my, I really need to be better about updating my painting blog!

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The twinkle toes nail polish will also go into my report.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

You're doing cutwork on an extension ladder with brush affixed to an extension pole. *blink blink*

I am in awe.

And I'm laughing at this one:

"PS, it's not OSHA-safe to wear Tevas on the jobsite."
Well, duh no. That just leads to papertowel-and-masking-tape bandaids!

 
At 2:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After having used a $20

straightener just to see if I'd actually use one if I had it, I finally stopped wanting to fry my hair, and decided to upgrade. I picked this one out because of the long titanium plates, and because I'd

heard an alarming amount of bad things about the Chi flat irons. I have been so happy with this straightener. My hair is super straight, smooth, and shiny. I've gotten so many compliments on my hair since

using it. It's glides right through my thick, stubborn, wavy hair. One stroke usually gets it perfect, some extremely stubborn parts take two. It's so easy and fast to use. I've got so much hair (a

hairdresser once called me "Mufasa", if that's any indication), and I'm done in about 15 minutes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home