Friday, July 21, 2006

The lovely and talented Larry.



That's the lovely and talented Larry, an oldtime paint guy who's owned Trio Paint in Burton MI since the 1960s. He carries Graham paint, an excellent product. He's one of a dying breed - little independent paint stores. Don't say the words Sherwin Williams, Home Depot, Walmart or Lowes in front of him! That sends him into long, bitter, muttering tirades about big chain stores carrying inferior products, and if there's no old ladies in the store he uses lots of naughty swear words.
To all six of my regular readers - don't you dare buy Behr paint from Home Despot. It is truly horrible stuff and if you buy any I will come over and spank you.



That's Larry and his lovely and talented helper Ann, who also knows a thing or two.
I do ocasionally run to Sherwin Williams for the odd paint order and I must say they have better-looking paint guys (hi, Fabio!) Although SW paint is a bit cheaper for me , I like to support independent business, and while SW has a wider range of paints and specialty coatings I prefer Graham for much of my work.
Other things I don't like about SW:
Those STUPID plastic paint buckets!!!!



You can't use them for cut buckets, what's up with that?
It's difficult to pour all the paint out.
They are not environmentally friendly.
You can't stir the paint.
When used once and resealed, the paint dries in the channel around the top of the bucket and welds the lid on so tight you have to beat on the damn thing with a hammer, repeatedly, to remove the lid.

Plus, around the time SW bumped their prices up, they stopped selling gallons. That's right. A gallon of paint is no longer a gallon of paint there, it's less. They don't tell you this. After decades of walking into paint stores and asking for a gallon of something-or-other, I feel like I should ask for 30.36 fluid ounces of Snickerdoodle Pink. Feh.
And, there have been quite a few times I've stopped in for something really basic - white interior semi gloss, or something in an ultra-deep base and they've been out of it! Now, we are talking the largest paint company on the planet, you'd think they would be better at predicting customer needs. Larry is never out of anything.

OK, I apologise for leaving you with that dorky painter joke, it was pretty bad.
I had a nice mini-vacation; here's a photo of me having a lovely time on Mackinac Island.


7 Comments:

At 5:27 AM, Blogger Tabor said...

I painted my house with Duron brand which is a mid-Atlantic local company and was the one my contractor said I 'had' to go with. It has a pretty good reputation. I may continue to stick with it as I do some of my further painting in the house. I still have a number of rooms which I left white and want to color.

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger Tabor said...

By the way, good photo of you under the umbrella. I guess that is one way to avoid sunburn.

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Carina said...

I've heard of Duron.....so many paints are relabelled for regions, and there's so much buying and selling and merging and consolidating, just like many other industries.
I know Sherwin Williams makes rebadged paint for several outfits - James Lumber around here, and some of the Ralph Lauren paints. Which are just insanely expensive SW paint with a designer label.
If you have a good painter, that person will suggest a good product, so listen to your contractor. :)
Heh. It was grey and blustery that day. We were joking about how awful our hair looked from being on a ferry and then walking around for hours in the wind. I have several Scary Hair pics, I figured this was a way to get around that haha.
So you are all moved in?

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Clay said...

I painted my house with Behr from Home Depot because I didnt know any better. Next time I'll go to Duval Paint, its one of those small independent paint stores.

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Carina said...

You go Clay! :)
Interesting blog you have, makes me look forward to winter so I can settle down on cold days & watch some obscure movies....

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

 
At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home