Thursday, June 22, 2006

Two Dykes and a Faggot.

Funny thing. Much like many people assume a male hairdresser is gay, many assume women in "non-traditional" jobs are lesbians.
When I very, very first started painting, it was with a woman I met at a Scientology party in California. Oh, what a fun crowd Scientologists are. Not. We were the only two DBs - in Scientology-speak, this is an acronym for Debased Bodies. ie, non-believers. Anyhow, so we hit it off, got drunk and decided to start a painting company for fun.
Several months later, our very first real employee was a tall hunky California-surfer dude named Ross.
Not only did people assume he was our boss instead of the other way around because he was a man - they assumed Gail & I were a couple, and nobody guessed Ross was quite light in the loafers and lived with Manuel, his high school sweetheart.
So, we were all tossing around possible company names one day. Came up with quite a few. My favourite - one remembers the dumbest stuff - was "Two Dykes and a Faggot Painting Co."
You know, I kind of wish we had! I was interviewed by the San Jose Mercury News - in 1980, woman-owned trades were quite rare. Still are. They did a big front page feature in the Saturday Home Section with a really dorky photo of me standing in front of a house, paint brush in hand.
T'would have been fun to see how they would have written up the company name.

8 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

heheheheheh that's funny...you probably would have made more money...all the gays and lesbians would have hired you for sure...

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Carina said...

Yah no kidding, it was the Bay area, after all!
Actually years later at one point I wound up with an all-dyke crew, it was great. A friend gave me a pin that said "Hopelessly Hetero."
Despite what some would have us believe, gayness isn't catching, haha.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Tabor said...

At least in California you fit...certain areas of the U.S. you would have to eventually win them over with your job talents. Gayness may not be catching, but is painting well catching?

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Carina said...

Well, I've taught quite a few people to paint (hopefully well...!)
Unfortunately I'm not in California any more - I'm in Michigan. But I'm still weird. :~)

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Karen said...

"what a fun crowd Scientologists are. Not"...

...can see why ole tom cruise belongs to it!

love your blogs; you and i think alike, girlfriend!! :-)

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow were you in a strange land among the scientologist. As for the gay thing, I got that a lot when I was acting. Really annoying when you're trying to pick up chicks. Don't get it as much now.

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Carina said...

Hey Karen! I was young and gullible enough to do their intro course, though I regarded it as merely an amusing thing to do & couldn't take it that seriously. They hounded me for over ten years after I quit, can you believe that?
Hope you are enjoying the fab weather here this weekend!

Ricardo, isn't that weird. I'd have thought women would fall all over an actor! Stereotypes are funny.

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I had that too and I loved every minute of it. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home