Saturday, February 10, 2007

Down and dirty - feel the earth beneath your feet.



For a fraction of the cost of hardwood floors, dirt flooring is making a comeback - doesn't it sound cool?
Start by pouring several wheelbarrows full of mud on your existing floor. Spread it around. Repeat. Let it dry for a few days. Brush on several layers of linseed oil, followed by a finish coat of beeswax.
Directions here.
The flooring only gets better with age, acquiring a lustrous patina like a favourite leather jacket.
I kinda want one.

4 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Lauren said...

I've heard of the technique and I would love to see a floor done that way. Not sure I would want one, but ya never know. . .

You come up with the coolest stuff!!!

HUGGSS!!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

ohhh, I would love that...I had heard about it long ago and had forgotten..but then I like the tile floors with the heat radients under them that keep the floors warm...hmm..but dirt floors..how cool would that be..

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Sounds like a good floor for a straw (bale) house. My aunt in Colorado built one of these, but she tiled the floors.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'll keep this idea in mind!

Thx for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home