Friday, September 29, 2006

The nerve!

As I wrote in my other blog, I've been sorta busy with stuff and haven't been online much lately.
Anyhow, there's a subdivision named Cook Harbor in Grand Blanc MI and for almost five years I have done many jobs there - I think I have painted in about half the homes in the entire sub by now.
I was there earlier this week for a couple of days, and driving in I saw - another painter's truck! Painter trucks are easy to spot - the bumper usually has paint dripped all over and the ladders are grungy with the ends sprayed. Unlike, say, electricians' ladders, which are always clean fiberglass ones arranged with precision on the racks. (Electricians tend to be rather precise chaps.)
Anyhow - another painter, what the heck? Ha. It was not at a house I've ever painted, otherwise my feelings would be hurt. So, I didn't go beat him about the head and shoulders with my extension pole to drive him out of my turf.
Of course I'm just being silly. I don't know any other painters well around here, but back in Colorado I had a very good painter friend. We joined up on several large jobs - we combined our crews and did....let's see - the outside of a large apartment complex, which took over a month. A small shopping center; that was fun! A couple other large commercial buildings. And when he tore his rotator cuff and couldn't really work for a few months I kept his regular clients - we both did lots of rentals - taken care of so he wouldn't lose the accounts. It was a good arrangement. These days I do mostly residential repaints and work alone except for occasional help, or working with Lisa.
While it's really nice to have helpers - I hate painting baseboards and masking windows; it's great to give those jobs to someone else - it's definitely more relaxed and mellow not worrying about employees! Sometimes I'd get behind on the money end, and would literally be ill stressing about how to pay everyone on Fridays. And when I had several jobs going at once, seems all I did was drive from job to job, making sure everyone had supplies, paint, ladders, always on the phone. Keeping everything running smoothly and on time could be stressful too. Much nicer just to show up in my little truck and get to work without constantly having to run off and take care of other stuff! I do miss the camaraderie but I guess everything is a trade off.

7 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

i dont think it would be a BAD thing if you let the air out of the other painters tires...or would it...?

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Carina said...

LOL...you are an evil, evil woman. I like that about you. :)

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

There may be other painters but you still hold the title of number one painter in our books. You could always settle this with a paint ball gun duel.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Sling said...

Nice work!..

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can keep your eyes open for the other painter truck and maybe you could meet that painter and work out the same kind of deal you had with the painter in Colorado. I have painted my own places inside, never anything outside, but what I like to do in my spare time is paint furniture and doors. Sounds like you have a pretty good business going. Good for you.

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Carina said...

Thank you Ricardo. Woof. :) And thank you Sling, I recognise your mug from Ricardo's blog!

Technobabe, my hat's off to anyone who paints furniture, I don't have the necessary patience! Actually I haven't seen that painters' truck there again, maybe they were just giving an estimate or doing a little job.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Thinking of you. Bailey and I are in Level two agility here in Phoenix. I can run him off lead, but he's decided that means it's flake-out time, so we are back to sometimes on and sometimes off.

Miss your presence on the web, and hope you are doing okay up there in the wild white north.

Did that foot ever heal up? You still running around in Tevas at work?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home