Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Painting in silence.



This is an ariel photo of a Michigan lake from this website. NOt the lake I'm working near, but probably would look similar from above.

Actually when I'm working alone (which is most of the time) I listen to NPR on my Walkman. With my cranial neurons otherwise occupied, the rest of my neurons can paint very efficiently, unhampered by conscious thought.
I enjoy company. But periodically I paint things when the homeowners are away on vacation, which makes things much easier for everyone. Homeowners don't have to put up with paint smell and the general disruption. I can leave my mess around overnight and show up for work at undoGly hours of the morning, if I want to, without having to wake normal people up.
Last Christmas/New Years I painted an entire McMansion while the homeowners were away for almost two weeks, that was great. In the process I found a diamond engagement ring behind a heavy-ass piece of furniture...they'd lost it years ago and figured it gone forever.
I just spent the last two days geting a bunch of work done before the folks got back from Thanksgiving away. They live right on a lake...I got there before it was light and watched the sun come up over the water and the swans waking up...really pretty! I want to live right on the edge of a body of water someday. The only downside I can see (apart from waterfront property anywhere being really expensive) is duck and goose poop all over the yard. The views would make it worth the bother though.

5 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

duck and goose poop...it is a deterent..but i love to look out on water..ponds, tanks, lakes, creeks, rivers, oceans..you name it..water is good...
dang..did they give you a reward for finding the ring?

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Carina said...

No, they should've though huh!
Yes, water is good, living right next to it would be SO col.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Tabor said...

I will soon (a few years) live full time on the water. The fun part (and as a painter you will enjoy this) is all the changes in color shading as the sun sets or rises. My pests are raccoons, deer and one copper-head snake. There are others, I am sure, who will interfere with my lifestyle.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

I want to live on water, but my spec is for a no-wake lake - which puts the concept into rich man's enclave territory. Sigh.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm from Houghton Lake and, as a child, it was fun being able to go swimming whenever you wanted to.

Now, we live on wetland which is fun, too, with all the wildlife. Never a dull moment out here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home